Rock Your Next Interview!
Posted by Youth Outreach
Ever have an interview? Did you get awkward, tense and ridiculously nervous? Well, you are not alone. Being interviewed is scary stuff. It is literally being subjected to complete judgement on everything you say and do. Still, no matter how much they suck, we all have to go through one at some point or another, whether it be applying for a job, student leadership, a scholarship, or any other position. Since it can’t be escaped, you might as well learn to do it well. Here are some tips that will help you to rock your next interview and hopefully calm your nerves:
- Be yourself. Employers want to hire people that they will enjoy working with, so they genuinely want to get you know you. Be funny, interesting, confident, honest. Just be you. Don’t try to be somebody else, or something you’re not.
- Be prepared. Think of some potential questions you might be asked before the interview, so you’ll be more prepared and you won’t have to think of everything on the spot. Most employers ask things like: What are your strengths and weaknesses? Why should you be hired? Why do you want to work here?
- Do your research. Look into the company you’re applying to. Make sure you know their mission statement and values if they have them. Recall a good experience you had with the company and bring that up. They want to know that you really do want to work there.
- Know what they are looking for. If you’re applying for a job that requires a lot of interaction with others, then present yourself as a people person. If it is a labor job, show that you’re a hard worker.
- Be confident and relaxed. Show them how awesome you are. Don’t be shy, go ahead and brag and talk about all the things you’re good at! After all, if you don’t think you’ll be hired, why should they even consider you? And, don’t talk in circles. Get right to the point and if you don’t have anything else important to add, just stop there.
Again, everyone gets at least a little nervous during interviews, and employers understand that. But really, just be straight up with them. You just need to tell them about yourself and why you want that job. No biggie… so just chill!
About Youth OutreachWe are located at 719 E. First St Newberg, OR 97132 503-538-8023
Posted on February 14, 2014, in College, Employment, Life, School and tagged applying for a job, Employment, high school, interview nerves, interview nervousness, interview tips, interviews, job interviews, jobs, looking for a job, summer employment, summer jobs, teenagers, teens, work. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.