Who Moved My Cheese?
Growing up I was always told that you cannot escape from death and taxes. I think my parents’ weren’t all that happy about taxes, but I believe one thing we cannot escape from is change. The dictionary defines change as the act or instance of making or becoming different. Sometimes change can surprise us like maybe a family tragedy, or loss of a job. Change isn’t always a bad thing either and can be good like getting a better job, graduating high school, or getting help with some type of problem you’re facing. Dealing with change can be tough for a lot of people. A book about change has become super popular because it talks about how to cope with change. The book is called Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson. In the book the cheese is a metaphor for what you want in your life, whatever that is. Here are 12 life lessons about change from Who Moved My Cheese:
- “If you do not change, you can become extinct”
Meaning: When things change, you should change as well. Adapt yourself accordingly otherwise you will be left behind.
- “What would you do if you were not afraid?”
Meaning: Sometimes some amount of fear can be good because you think about it and will take action. It’s not good when you are so afraid it keeps you from doing anything. You should not be afraid in taking risks in your life, when it’s necessary.
- “Smell the cheese often, so you know when it is getting old”
Meaning: Monitor change in your cheese and prepare yourself accordingly, so when change in your cheese happens, you will be ready for it.
- “When you move beyond fear, you feel free”
Meaning: You have to let go of your fear, and shift your focus from what can go wrong to what will go right and only then will you be able to give 100%.
- “Imagining myself enjoying new cheese even before I find it leads me to it”
Meaning: Dream about those things which you want in life, because when you imagine having your cheese then it will lead to your cheese quickly.
- “The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you find new cheese”
Meaning: Don’t hold on to things in your life when change happens that will only waste your time, energy and you will feel disappointed. Instead take action to move on and again make yourself busy in searching of new cheese.
- “It is safer to search in the maze, than remain in a cheese less situation”
Meaning: You have to keep moving in life, searching for your cheese instead of worrying about what you lost.
- “Old beliefs do not lead you to new cheese”
Meaning: Old methods will not give new results. In order to get new cheese, you need to change your old routine and modify it to get new cheese.
- “When you see that you can find and enjoy new cheese, you change course”
Meaning: When you obtain new cheese and you realize that you can really achieve it, you will decide that change can be good.
- “Noticing small changes early helps; you adapt to the bigger changes that are to come”
- “What you are afraid of is never as bad as what you imagine. The fear you let build up in your mind is worse than the situation that actually exists”
Meaning: Sometimes in our minds we make a situation much worse than what is actually going on in a situation.
- “Move with the cheese”
Meaning: Life moves on and so should we.
Do you struggle with change or is there something going on in your life that you want help with changing? Maybe you don’t know where to start or how to change? Here at Youth Outreach we have people that can help you with that. You can visit us at Youth Outreach or call us day or night with questions or assistance 1.866.538.8023.