Lets be real… smoking is gross. I mean, really, what’s good about it? Your friends might do it, you might think it makes you “cool,” it might give you a little buzz. But here’s what’s bad about it. It will:
- decrease your physical fitness
- increase your chances of getting cancer… no, not just lung cancer. Also throat, stomach, and bladder cancer
- increase your chances of getting infections like bronchitis and pneumonia
- increase your chances of getting sick
- give you wrinkles
- turn your teeth yellow
- decrease your bone density
- it could affect your sexual health… girls who are on birth control and smoke increase their risk of serious health problems, like heart attacks
- give you bad breath
- give you bad skin
- make your clothes and hair smell bad
- reduce your athletic performance
- increase your risk of injury, and cause you to have a slower healing time
- increase your risk of emphysema (breakdown of lung tissues)
- increase your risk of heart disease
- shorten your life by 10 years or more
- cost you around $1,000 a year if you smoke everyday… imagine what you can do with $1,000!
That’s a lot of terrible stuff. So why do people do it?
Children and teens usually start smoking because they think it’ll make them look “cool and grown up,” or their friends peer pressure them into doing it. Kids who see a lot of smoking advertisements and see a lot of smoking in movies are also more likely to do it.
The sad thing is, most people who start smoking start as kids or teens. Studies show that among adults who smoke, 68% started smoking regularly at age 18 or younger, and 85% start at age 21 or younger. Everyday in the United States, around 3,900 children and teens try their first cigarette… about 950 of them will become regular, daily smokers, and half of them will ultimately die from it.
People who start smoking at an earlier age are also more likely to develop a severe addiction than people who start smoking later in life. They also have even greater health risks. Not that you should smoke at ANY point in your life, but you should know that smoking as an adolescent is even worse than smoking as an adult.
Once you start smoking, it’s hard to quit because of nicotine. Nicotine is an extremely addicting drug, and your body and mind can become so used to it that they need it to feel normal. Nicotine and all the other chemicals in cigarettes are POISONS. They break down your body and can kill you in high doses.
If you think that hookahs, e-cigarettes, pipes, cigars, and smokeless tobacco are all safer alternatives to cigarettes… you’re wrong. None of those things are any better for you than cigarettes.
Really guys, smoking isn’t cool. It’s dangerous and disgusting. In the U.S., 1 in 5 deaths is caused by smoking… that’s 20%. Do you realize how huge that is? Just don’t even try one cigarette… you don’t want to go there.